Oconto Unified School District
McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
Parents/Guardians who became homeless have the right to keep their child/children in the school where the child/children attended when permanently housed or recently enrolled.
Parents/Guardians also have the right to enroll their child/children in any school that non-homeless students who live in the attendance area, in which they are actually living, attend.
Guidelines to consider in making a school placement decision in the best interest of the child include:
• Keeping the same instruction
• Quality of instruction
• A student’s need for a specific program or services offered
• Age of child/children
• School placement of family members
• Length of anticipated homelessness
• Likely area of family’s future housing
• Safety of the child